Thursday, February 8, 2007

Flash Cards and Randomly Sorted Picture Albums

I am not an ordinary man. I have what I call a flash memory. Bits and pieces of images stick onto me for reasons I cannot comprehend. Images which would have gone unnoticed by most and considered too irrelevant by others. At times they move me. At times they provide me with the fodder for my demented sense of humour. At times they even refuse to speak to me and just stay there with me...mute. I have stopped trying to reason with them anymore. I have accepted them.
I am not an anti war campaigner. I believe war leads to change and at times change is the need of the hour. But then what of the little boy on crutches at the very beginning of Kabul Express. Most of us who have seen the movie were not so impressed with it but it was this one scene which made it special for me. It said something to me. The world operates on very thin lines and one never knows when one has crossed it. Victory is only relative. Justice is but volatile. If I have given a young boy crutches for a playmate. How can I justify myself. What can I say which will placate my guilt. Should I feel guilty at all. Does my guilt alone justify my intent. I do not know. I can only feel his pain. Nothing you say about terrorism can convince me to believe that he deserved what he got. Nothing they say about US discrimination can make me forgive those who gave guns at the hands of a twelve year old. Nothing I can say about the larger good can persuade me to believe that we have not crossed the line here.
Then there is that fat dog. Out on one of my evening visits to the local bakery I come across this really fat dog and this really skinny construction worker. This poor, hungry and much harassed man was having this measly bun and this very fat dog was right there pawing the frail man with much ferocity. Somewhere the humour of the entire situation caught onto me. The tables have turned here. The hunter is the hunted now. The beggar is the chooser now. With each paw the dog would shake the man's self esteem. So much so that he gave up at the end. The fat dog has won and he sat there stuffing his already overfed self. The poor man walked away. Another victory for another covetous fat dog. I am amused.
Is it is just me or does everyone remember their lives in flashes. I thought that was supposed to happen only when you are about to die. It is like a series of flash cards which only I can link together into a coherent story. Emotions, experiences, feelings and every other neural response all trapped in a randomly sorted picture album and yet in the end it all makes sense. Kudos to the creator.

11 comments:

Shreyas said...

awesome baby... yes flashes it is... i barely remember times we spent together but the chicken we dug into stands out.. we build our memoirs from these flashes and we reason out if we enjoyed it... hindsight is a 2 edged sword.. sumthing flashes across and u feel u shudnt have done it.. worse still u recollect the enjoyment it provided... life builds itself ard them and more u get flashed(pun intended) the more enjoyment u can derieve

In Quest said...

Really awesome !Subharun i seriously wonder what are you doing installing j2ee engines and creating webdynpro applications?!! You just have this innate ability to write and express so well..The small nuances which make life beautiful have been so beautifully captured in your blogs..the sad humor or do they call it dark humor?,i dunno.But honestly mean it when i say its amazing! Attaboy! Keep up the good work..

Sir Confusius The Confused said...

thank you one and all for such gracious comments

@shreyas : wonder how that flash pun escaped me. i enjoyed your point of view not to mention how it relates to your post on nostalgia...read it here

www.andsoiwrote.blogspot.com

@zing bang : firstly thanks..truthfully i wonder too...i keep wondering all the time...but one needs to feed oneself..even if you are as healthy as i am...but one day dear girl...oneday i shall break free...

Rachit said...

It was a very good post... also, it really gave a lot of light about the different extremes of life... amazing.... FIGHT ON!!!!

Gargi said...

nice articles, can see that you got hurt by the thorn while picking up the rose and good to see you remember that...i wish everybody could have linked their flashcards...then world you spend a century to think and sort apart the ideas..atleast for that time war could have stopped...keep it up

Unknown said...

it is really good! you are an amazing expressionist [is that a new word?], i wonder why not write for medis where your thoughts and expressions get more readers. try it you can do it. i like both the articles...

Sir Confusius The Confused said...

to one and all...thanks for all the nice things you tell me...

@rachit : thanks

@gargi : well there are a lot of experinces but sometimes it is pure observation..and i agree it is not always easy to link the flash cards together...but hope all of us could...just hope..

@debarun : i do not know if it is a word or not...but there was i think expressionist art at some phase...and ur wish is my command...get me a place and i shall write...very like i write for food type...

SANDIP ROY said...

i am blasted... flash memory is really a good concept... and u write very well

priyanka said...

u better start writing professionally.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

this reminds me of a similar saying - people forget what you do to them, but they never forget how you made them feel.. flash memory explains it